Cannabutter is the quintessential ingredient for cooking with Cannabis and it’s simple to make!
Cannabutter is an excellent ingredient to use while cooking with cannabis. It’s relatively easy to make and is a delicious cannabis carrier that can be used in place of the fat component in your favourite recipes!
The most important step in making your cannabutter is called decarboxylation. This process activates the psychoactive potential in cannabis by slowly heating the flower at a low temperature and must be done before you start making your cannabutter
If you’d like a step-by-step guide on how to decarboxylate your cannabis flower, you can find it in our article, The Step-by-step Guide of Decarboxylating Cannabis.
Approx. 1 cup
What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup of unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cup water
- 14 grams of decarboxylated cannabis (see recommendations below)
- Medium saucepan
- Wooden spoon or silicon spatula
- Cheesecloth or fine-meshed metal sieve
- Mason jar or silicon mold
- Add water and butter to a medium saucepan over low heat
- Once the butter has melted, add the decarboxylated cannabis
- Mix well with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula until combined and cover with a lid
- Gently simmer for four hours, stirring every 30 minutes to make sure your butter doesn’t burn
- Using your thermometer, periodically check and make sure that your temperature doesn’t go above 180°F
- Remove from heat after four hours and strain the mixture through a cheesecloth or a fine-meshed metal sieve into your container of choice
- Let the butter mixture cool at room temperature, or put it in the fridge to solidify
- Use right away, or store in a tightly-sealed jar for up to six months
How to Properly Dose Homemade Cannabutter
Keep in mind that dosing accurately when making homemade edibles can be difficult, and as always, we recommend the ‘start low, go slow’ mentality when trying a new product or form of cannabis
When making an infused butter, we recommend sampling ¼ teaspoon of the finished infusion on a cracker and waiting an hour to see how you react to the dose. Depending on how you feel, you can increase or decrease the amount of your cannabis-infused product as desired. You can use this as a benchmark for calculating how much of your infusion to use in your recipe
Solei “Free” CBD
Solei Free features the high-CBD Treasure Island strain. With rich green hues and spicy notes, Solei Free is sun-grown in an eco-friendly environment and harvested at the peak of trichome development.
LoFi CBD Oil
LoFi CBD Oil combines full-spectrum, CBD extract with sustainably sourced MCT at a potency of 50mg/ml. ||The CBD extract is produced from an alcohol-based extraction and winterization process creating a darker oil that is rich in minor cannabinoids and terpenes.
Pure Sunfarms Pink Kush
This special strain is beloved across Canada for its strong aromas, colourful flowers, and high THC potential. Beneath a thick coating of trichomes, the dense and round buds feature forest green leaves, often with a purple hue, mixed with dark amber pistils.