We love a twist on a classic dessert, especially one that comes from Vancouver Island! The Nanaimo bar is an iconic Canadian treat many of us here on the Island grew up with. With Thanksgiving and Halloween this month, it’s a great sweet treat to bring to your next potluck. Of course, the twist on this classic recipe is not just the pumpkin, but also cannabutter. We’ve used our cannabutter recipe, but you’re welcome to be more creative with your elegant edibles by using cannabis-infused chocolate, or even a powder isolate! This recipe comes from Lisa Bolton, a published West Coast food stylist and food content creator. Delicious!
- In small saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, cocoa and sugar, stirring occasionally until butter has melted and mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Stir in egg, graham cracker crumbs and coconut.
- Press into ungreased 9-inch (2.5 L) square pan.
- Refrigerate for 60 minutes.
- In medium bowl, use electric mixer to cream together icing sugar, butter, pumpkin, custard powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and salt. Spread over bottom layer; chill.
- In top part of double boiler over barely simmering water, melt chocolate and butter together, stirring occasionally, until smooth and shiny. Pour over custard layer.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- ½ cup (125 mL) butter
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) cocoa powder
- ¼ cup (50 mL) sugar 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) graham cracker crumbs
- ¾ cup (175 mL) sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar
- ½ cup (125 mL) cannabutter (at room temperature)
- ½ cup (125 mL) pumpkin purée
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) custard powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon ½ tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
- Pinch salt
- 6 oz (170 g) dark chocolate
- ¼ cup (50 mL) butter